Nothing spoils your smoking session like a dirty bong. Failing to maintain and clean your bong regularly leads to resin buildup. Eventually, your bong is clogged with ash, tar, bacteria, and filthy bong water that translates into an awful smelling smoke. It can be easy to miss the signs, but once you can't taste the flavor of the high-quality cannabis you brought home, you know your bong is in urgent need of some serious cleaning.
Below are professional cleaning methods and tips that you should use to keep your bong looking clean as new!
Can you eat a meal off of a dirty, mold-infested plate? If your answer is a resounding no, why then should you smoke out of filthy, disgusting bong? Bongs are prone to getting notoriously dirty and stinky fast. If you're not careful, they can easily distort the quality of your cannabis and get you sick. Luckily, there is an easy and straightforward way to clean your bong- basic cleaning.
All you need to do is gather your supplies, including coarse salt, baking soda, vinegar, alcohol, and get to a clean sink or basin with plenty of water.
- Wear your latex gloves and empty the remaining contents in your bong; Eliminate all herb leftovers from your bowl and ensure there's no water in the chamber.
- Rinse the bong in warm water to loosen and get rid of any stubborn solids
- Add some warm water partly into the bong. Note that extremely hot water can shatter and ruin your glass piece.
- Carefully disassemble the parts of your bong to allow for thorough clean up of each piece. Remove the bowl, pipe, and mouthpiece while inspecting any cracks or chips on the pieces that may need to be replaced.
- Carefully put your pieces in a container, add an abrasive (coarse salt) to tackle all the grime and stains and rubbing alcohol to clean the insides. Stronger rubbing alcohol (above 90%) will give you the best results.
- Cover the holes with your hands and fingers to prevent spillages. Shake the bong thoroughly for a few minutes to remove all the buildup resin, grime, and dirt.
- Once you are content that you have done enough shaking for the best possible results, it's now time to empty all the dirty solution into the sink.
- The next step is to rinse out your pieces thoroughly with clean water and repeat as many times as you need. Rinsing twice usually leaves your bong spic and span clean and looking new as when you first bought it.
Eliminate All Stubborn Stains
This method is especially useful if your bong has stayed unclean for quite some time. Dirt and stains will stick on the hard-to-reach areas. Hence, you should disassemble your bong and soak it in a sink or basin filled with warm water. Squirt a small amount of washing detergent- a generous amount will be hard to rinse out thoroughly and might leave a lingering bad aftertaste in the bong when your smoke.
Allow the bong to soak for 60 minutes or more and then clean as follows:
- Add about a tablespoon of coarse salt into a sealable plastic bag (you can use two bags). Put enough rubbing alcohol (isopropyl )into the bag and soak all the small pieces of your bong. Ensure they are completely submerged before shaking the bag carefully for a few seconds. Allow the pieces to soak for a few minutes, then rinse each part thoroughly with clean water.
- Scrub all the nooks and crannies of your pieces using a plastic cotton swab or an appropriate pipe cleaner.
- Ensure all the stubborn stains and resin are eliminated by dipping the pieces in more rubbing alcohol then scrubbing them out.
- To remove the water stains in your bong, add some warm water and lemon juice to the chamber and swish it to reach every corner.
- Finally, rinse out your bong thoroughly with cold, clean water.
Note: Please note that this is the same cleaning process to follow if you are using other abrasives and cleaners. Only, instead of adding coarse salt and isopropyl alcohol, you'll add rice, baking soda or vinegar depending on what is available to you. These methods are generally highly effective, affordable, and simple to do. However, each has its unique benefits and drawbacks. It's also necessary to note that coarse salt and isopropyl alcohol gives the best results!
Hot Water Method
Cleaning your bong may seem like a demanding task that you'd rather avoid. Of course, in some respect, it is. Oftentimes you have to gather some motivation to get down to the task. But you can't risk smoking out of a dirty bong. At the very least, use this method to keep tar, resin, mold, biofilm, and microorganisms away.
This method is also ideal for those who would rather avoid using strong bong cleaning chemicals. It's all-natural and safe! Note that using boiling water on a cold bong could make it shatter!
- Disassemble the smaller pieces and stems of your bong. Carefully gather them into a plastic container and add enough hot water to submerge every piece. Secure the airtight lid and leave the parts to soak.
- Add enough water to fill the bong to the brim and secure all openings with duct tape or any heat-resistant wrap. Note that the glass will get very hot, and it might burn your hands. Therefore, protect wear oven mitts before shaking the bong thoroughly to clean all corners.
- Use warm water to rinse the glass pieces and repeat. Do not use cold water as the temperature shock can shatter it!
- Though this method may not be effective for an especially dirty bong with heavy residue and stain buildup, it is ideal for those who regularly clean their bongs
Commercial Bong Cleaning Products
Nothing is more annoying than a dirty, clogged bong! You might never smoke enough to get stoned or high! And you won't taste the flavor of your amazing Cannabis. But don't worry, dear stoner. There is a huge variety of bong cleaning products that you can use to clean your piece and prevent future resin and grime buildups. Sounds great, right?
These products are specifically made to clean and keep your beautiful bong safe for use. Even better, most of these products are plant-based and made out of natural ingredients, meaning they are safe and non-toxic. There is always a product available for your type of bong, whether glass, plastic, ceramic, metal or even bamboo. The most important thing is to find the one that works best for your bong.
- Empty the contents in your bong and rinse it out well with warm water.
- Disassemble the pieces of your bong and put them into a plastic container.
- Squirt an adequate amount of the cleaning detergent and hot water into the container.
- Seal tightly and leave the pieces to soak overnight.
- Always rinse thoroughly and allow your piece to dry before use
Taking Care of Your Bong
It doesn't take rocket science to take good care of your bong and keep it well maintained. If you want to get the best performance out of your glass piece, clean it regularly and keep it in good shape. This is probably the only way you'll ever make your weed taste better and preserve your health.
Remember this, a clean bong is a happy bong, and a happy bong will get you perfectly stoned! Here's how to take care of your bong:
- Only use filtered water in your bong. This avoids stains and discoloration of your glass piece.
- Change your bong water every day to prevent biofilm and mold formation.
- At least clean your bong thoroughly every once a week to eliminate any stains
- Always secure your bong in its bag or a rigid casing to avoid cracking or breaking.
- Consider using soft brushes to get rid of resin and dirt out of the 'hidden' places.
Maintaining your bong makes it easier to clean when the time comes. You'll need to constantly change your bong water to combat biofilms and avoid hard water stains. Keeping your bong clean is a job in itself, especially if you are a regular smoker. But with any of the bong cleaning methods discussed above, you will find the process enjoyable and easy!