Do you remember the last time you cleaned your grinder? So many smokers forget to clean their grinders until many months down the line when it gets stuck and won't grind anymore. That's when they remember it's time to clean their grinders back to their working state.
Leaving cannabis leftovers lying around in your grinder is essentially promoting a playground for bacteria. Bacteria and other microorganisms love cannabis leftovers. Besides preserving your health, cleaning your grinder regularly also helps to extend its life and make it function at its best.
How To Clean Your Grinder
The method of cleaning your grinder entirely depends on its type:
Cleaning Metal Grinders
You know that it's now time to clean your metal grinder once you begin to feel some resistance.
- Disassemble the pieces of your grinder and carefully place them in your freezer for 30-60minutes. This hardens all the leftover matter that may be trapped within the grinder.
- Use a soft toothbrush to sweep away all the frozen matter thoroughly. Sweep every corner of the grinder, and it's a good idea if you collect the cannabis leftovers for later use.
- The next step is to deep wash all the grinder pieces in a salt, alcohol solution.
- Put all the grinder pieces in a sealable plastic bag and add some coarse salt and enough isopropyl alcohol to submerge every piece.
- Seal the bag and shake a few times, then leave the pieces to soak for some time. One hour or thirty minutes of soaking should be enough. However, the longer you let the pieces soak, the cleaner they become, so you can leave them to soak overnight for the best possible results.
- Remove the pieces from the bag and rinse them one by one.
Pro Tip: Do not rinse in cold water as it might harden the loosened particles/debris again. Rinse in warm water generously or rinse using isopropyl alcohol.
Cleaning Acrylic or Plastic Grinders
Soaking plastic grinders in highly concentrated alcohol can cause damage. Therefore, instead of isopropyl alcohol, you'll need to use a cleaning detergent and warm water. Ensure every piece is submerged and let them soak for some minutes. The next step is to brush each piece lightly with a soft brush to eliminate all particles and debris. Finally, rinse thoroughly in warm want and let it dry.
Warning: Using this method on your metallic grinders will cause rusting.
Cleaning Electric Grinders
- First, ensure that your grinder is disconnected. Disassemble its pieces and brush thoroughly using a soft toothbrush to eliminate all solid particles from the surface of your pieces. You might want to save the cannabis particles for later use.
- Assemble your grinder and connect. Add 2-3 tablespoons of rice and grind to fine flour. The flour binds to the remaining/stubborn resin.
- Eliminate all the fine flour and wipe the pieces thoroughly using a damp towel.
Your grinder is now clean and ready to get dirty again! These methods of cleaning your grinder are straightforward, highly reliable, and gives you optimal results.